Changing fortress

In this photo series, I was trying to understand and show the transformation of Daugavpils Fortress from the end of 19th century until nowadays. I was curious about how the buildings and environment changed as time passed by. I tried to capture this process by taking photos of the same places that one could see in historical photographs and by creating time-lapse videos (I have not posted them yet) of the restoration process. You can track how the fortress has transformed from the late 19th century when it remained virtually unchanged, during the 20th century with World War II and Soviet occupation, and how the fortress is becoming alive thanks to restoration and its central role in tourism of Daugavpils.

This is an ongoing project of mine and it is hard to pinpoint the beginning of it. I started it around 2011, during the first period of active restoration and revitalization of the fortress, but since I already had a lot of photos taken by me in the previous decade, I eventually rephotographed them too. And I still have some spots in mind, but since I visit Daugavpils only once or twice a year, the collection grows slowly.

For the first time, these photos were displayed in the former gunpowder magazine of the Daugavpils Fortress during the Museum night in 2017.

More about Daugavpils Fortress you can find here.

My gallery of  Daugavpils Fortress photos on shutterstock.

This project consists of before and after* photos. Time-lapse videos coming soon!


* Old photographs used for comparison were provided by Culture and Information Centre of Daugavpils Fortress, local museum and found in local history enthusiast forums.

SHARE

EN A guard house with barrier-gate in front of Nicholas gate in 2012 and in 2015 after restoration.

LV 1. krasta lunetes kordegarde ar barjervārtiem un Nikolaja vārti 2012. gadā un 2015. gadā pēc restaurācijas.

RU Кордегардия с барьерными воротами 1-го набережного люнета и Николаевские ворота в 2012-м году и в 2015-м после реставрации.

EN Military hospital of Daugavpils Fortress in the 1930s and 2019. Built in 1820-1827, designed by architect A. Shtaubert (as well as many other buildings in the fortress). Hospital has been in continuous use by the Russian Imperial army, Latvian army, Wehrmacht, and soviet armies from completion until the 1990s.
Emperor of Russia visited wounded soldiers (of Russian and German armies- all in the same hospital) in November 1914. In the old photo, ventilation shafts are visible. They were an important part of the original 19th-century ventilation system. Fresh air entered shafts and was delivered to hospital interiors through underground ventilation shafts. A big window in the middle is an operation room.

LV Daugavapils cietokšņa kara hospitālis 1930. gados un 2019. gadā. Uzbūvēts no 1820-1827. gados pēc arhitekta A. Štauberta projekta (tāpat kā daudzas citas ēkas cietoksnī). Hospitālis bija pildījis savas funkcijas bez pārtraukumiem no būvniecības beigām līdz 1990. gadiem. To izmantoja gan Krievijas impērijas, gan Latvijas, gan Vērmahta, gan padomju armijas.
Krievijas Imperators apmeklēja ievainotos karavīrus (krievu un vācu – visi vienā hospitālī) 1914. gada novembrī. Vecajā fotogrāfijā var pamanīt oriģinālās 19. gs. ventilācijas sistēmas vēdināšanas šahtas. Svaigais gaiss caur ventilācijas šahtām un pazemes kanāliem tika nogādāts hospitāļa iekštelpās. Lielais logs ēkas centrālajā daļā ir bijusī operāciju zāle.

RU Военный госпиталь Даугоавпилсской крепости в 1930 годы и в 2019 году. Построен с 1820 по 1827 год по проекту арнитектора А. Штауберта (как и многие другие здания крепости). Госпиталь выполнял изначальные функции с завершения строительства до 199 годов. В разные времена его использовали Русская Императорская армия, Латвийская армия, Вермахт и советская армия.
Российский император посетил раненных солдат (русской и немецкой армий, лежавших в одном госпитале) в ноябре 1914 года. На старом снимке видны вентиляционные тумбы – часть оригинальной вентиляции 19 века. Свежий воздух затягивался в подземные каналы и распределялся по помещениям. Большое окно в центре здания – операционный зал.

EN Fountain of the Commandant’s garden in 1912-1915 and in 2019. The fountain built in 1912 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Napoleon’s retreat from the Russian Empire. The fountain remained in the original appearance and operated for only 3 years. The front line in WW1 moved closer to Dvinsk in 1915 and the steam engine operating the water-pump was evacuated so the water supply stopped. The double-headed bronze eagle from the top of the fountain was evacuated too.

LV Komandanta dārza strūklaka 1912.-1915. gados un 2019. gadā. Strūklaka uzstādīta 1912. gadā par godu 100 gadiem kopš Napoleona padzišanas no Krievijas impērijas. Strūklaka sākotnējā izskatā darbojās tikai 3 gadus, jo, kad Pirmā Pasaules kara laikā, 1915. gadā frontes līnija pietuvojās Dvinskai, tika apturēta ūdens padeve cietoksnī, jo evakuēja tvaika mašīnu, kas darbināja sūkņus ūdens paceļamajā ēkā kā arī evakuēja bronzas divgalvainais ērglis.

RU Фонтан в Комендантском саду в 1912-1915 годах и в 2019 году. Фонтан установлен в 1912 году в честь 100-летия выдворения Наполеона из Российской империи. Фонтан в изначальном виде просуществовал всего 3 года так как в 1915 году в связи с приближением линии фронта во время Первой Мировой войны к Двинску остановилось водоснабжение в связи с эвакуацией паровой машины приводившей в движение насосы водоподъёмного здания и также эвакуировали двуглавого бронзового орла.

EN Fortress cathedral in 1940 and 2019. Built in 1737-1746 by Jesuits as a catholic church it was more than 60 m tall. It was completed 64 years before the beginning of the construction of Dinaburg Fortress even started. It was a spiritual center of the old Dinaburg city.
At the beginning of the construction of Dinaburg Fortress, it was turned into a Russian orthodox church, in the 1920s into Lutheran, but in 1944 it was badly damaged – high towers were destroyed, probably by Soviet artillery. The Soviet government decided not to restore the church and in 1960s dismantling of the remains was completed.
Today only foundations of it remain buried under the ground.

Source of the historical photo: https://www.bildindex.de/document/obj20432143

LV Cietokšņa katedrāle 1940. un 2019. gadā. Dievnamu uzbūvēja Jezuītu ordenis 1737-1746. gados līdz ar to tā sākotnēji bija kā katoļu baznīca, kuras torņi slējās augstāk par 60 m. Baznīcas celtniecība tika pabeigta apmēram 64 gadus pirms Dinaburgas cietokšņa celtniecības sākuma un kalpoja kā Dinaburgas garīgais centrs
Līdz ar cietokšņa celtniecības sākumu tā tika iesvētīta par pareizticīgo, savukārt 1920. gados tā kļuva par luterāņu baznīcu. 1944. gadā tā stipri cieta, visticamāk, to apšaudīja sarkanās armijas artilērija iznīcinot augstos torņus. Padomju valdība nolēma neatjaunot baznīcu un 1960. gados drupu demontāža bija pabeigta.
Mūsdienās no dievnama ir palikuši tikai aprakti pamati.

Vēsturiskās bildes avots: https://www.bildindex.de/document/obj20432143

RU Крепостной собор в 1940 году и в 2019 году. Построен иезуитами в 1737-1746 годах, как католический собор чьи башни возвышались более чем на 60 м. Храм был завершён 64 года до начала строительства Динабургской крепости и являлся духовным центром старого Динабурга.
С началом строительства крепости собор был переосвещён в православный, а в 1920-е годы он стал лютеранским, но в 1944-м году собор был сильно повреждён, скорее всего советской артиллерией. В 1960-е годы демонтаж руин собора был завершён и сегодня от храма остались лишь фундаменты, скрытые под землёй.

Источник исторической фотографии: https://www.bildindex.de/document/obj20432143

EN 19th century wooden gazebo built in the former parade square – fortress park nowadays, also known as Commandant’s garden. Photos of 1920s and 2019. Soldiers of Zemgale Division of Latvian Army in front of the gazebo.

LV 19. gs. koka lapene, kas uzbūvēta kādreizējā parādes laukumā – mūsdienās cietokšņa parks, jeb Komandanta dārzs. 1920. gadu un 2019. gada fotogrāfijas. Latvijas armijas Zemgales divīzijas karavīri pozē pie lapenes.

RU Беседка построенная в XIX веке на бывшей плац-парадной площади – сегодня крепостной парк, также известен как Комендантский сад. Снимки 1920-х и 2019-го годов. Солдаты Земгальской дивизии Латвийской армии позируют у беседки.

EN Monument honoring soldiers of 10th Aizpute Infantry Regiment fallen in Latvian War of Independence in 1930s and its remains in 2011. During soviet occupation monument was partially destroyed and rebuilt as foundation for soviet leader busts. It was restored in original shape in 2017 and today still located in Fortress Park. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Regional Studies and Art Museum.

LV 10. Aizputes kājnieku pulka Neatkarības karā kritušajiem karavīriem veltītais piemineklis сietokšņa dārzā. 1930. gados un tā atliekas 2011. gadā. Padomju okupācijas gados piemineklis tika pārbūvēts kā postaments padomju vadoņiem. Piemineklis atjaunots sākotnējā izskatā 2017. gadā, pateicoties biedrībai “Daugavpils mantojums”.  Vēsturiskā foto avots: Daugavpils Novadpētniecības un mākslas muzeja krājums.

RU Памятник в крепостном саду посвящённый солдатам 10-го Аизпутского полка павшим в Освободитальной войне Латвии. Изначальный вид в 1930-е годы и его остатки в 2011-м. В советское время памятник был перестроен как постамент под бюсты советских вождей. Памятник восстановлен в изначальном виде в 2017-м году благодаря инициативе общества “Daugavpils mantojums” (Даугавпилсское наследие). Источник исторического фото: архив Даугавпилсского краеведческого и художественного музея.

EN Monument honoring soldiers of 10th Aizpute Infantry Regiment fallen in Latvian War of Independence in 1930s and in 2019 after It was restored. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Regional Studies and Art Museum.

LV 10. Aizputes kājnieku pulka Neatkarības karā kritušajiem karavīriem veltītais piemineklis сietokšņa dārzā. 1930. gados un 2019. gadā pēc restaurācijas, pateicoties biedrībai “Daugavpils mantojums”.  Vēsturiskā foto avots: Daugavpils Novadpētniecības un mākslas muzeja krājums.

RU Памятник в крепостном саду посвящённый солдатам 10-го Аизпутского полка павшим в Освободитальной войне Латвии. Изначальный вид в 1930-е годы и в восстановленном виде в 2019-м году благодаря инициативе общества “Daugavpils mantojums” (Даугавпилсское наследие). Источник исторического фото: архив Даугавпилсского краеведческого и художественного музея.

EN 1st coastal lunette with guardhouse and barrier gates in 2012 and in 2015 after restoration.

LV 1. krasta lunete. 2012. gadā un 2015. gadā pēc restaurācijas.

RU 1-й набережный люнет. В 2012-м году и в 2015-м после реставрации.

EN View from the 6th ravelin to the cathedral and ramparts in 1920s and the same place in 2018. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Information Centre.

LV Skats no 6. ravelīna uz katedrāli un vaļņiem 1920. gados un tas pats skats 2018. gadā. Vēsturiskā attēla avots: Daugavpils cietokšņa Kultūras un informācijas centra krājums.

RU Вид с 6-го равелина на собор и валы в 1920-е годы и то же место в 2018-м гогду. Источник исторического фото: коллекция Центра культури и информации Даугавпилсской крепости.

EN View of the cathedral and route to Mikhail Gate in 1920s and 2011. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Information Centre.

LV Skats uz cietokšņa baznīcu no Mihaila vārtu puses. 1920. gados un tā pati vieta 2011. gadā. Vēsturiskās fotogrāfijas avots: Daugavpils cietokšņa Kultūras un informācijas centra krājums.

RU Вид на крепостной собор со стороны Михайловских ворот в 1920-е годы и то же место в 2011-м году. Источник исторического фото: коллекция Центра культуры и информации Даугавпилсской крепости.

EN 10th Aizpute infantry regiment of the Latvian Army on a parade in 1930s marching along Aizpute Street. The same place in 2014, nowadays – Aleksandra Street. Source of historical photo: dinaburg.ru

LV 10. Aizputes kājnieku pulks Aizputes ielā. 1930. gados un tā pati vieta (mūsdienās – Aleksandra iela) 2014. gadā. Vēsturiskās fotogrāfijas avots: dinaburg.ru

RU 10-й Аизпутский пехотный полк на улице Айзпутес в 1930-е годы и та же улица (ул. Александра) в 2014-м году. Источник исторического фото: dinaburg.ru

EN Arched gates – used to guard the way to Constantine Gate. View of 1930s vs 2011. Source of historical photo: collection collection of Daugavpils Regional Studies and Art Museum.

LV Arku vārti no Konstantīna vārtu puses. 1930. gados un 2011. gadā. Vēsturiskā foto avots: Daugavpils Novadpētniecības un mākslas muzeja krājums.

RU Арочные ворота со стороны Константиновских ворот. Вид в 1930-е годы и 2011-й год. Источник исторического фото: архив Даугавпилсского краеведческого и художественного музея.

EN Wooden bridges, guardhouse, and arched gates of the Mikhail Gate passageway. View in 1923 and in 2011. Source of historical photo: collection of Dinaburg Fortress Documentation Centre.

LV Koka tilti, kordegarde un arku vārti no Mihaila vārtu puses. Skats 1923. un 2011. gadā. Vēsturiskās foto avots: Dinaburgas cietokšņa dokumentācijas centrs.

RU Деревянные мосты, кордегардия и арочные ворота со стороны Михайловских ворот. Вид в 1923 и 2011 году. Источник фото: Центр документации Динабургской крепости.

EN Historically main entrance to the Artillery arsenal. Today building houses Mark Rothko Art Centre). View in 2009 vs 2014.

LV Artilērijas arsenāla ēkas vēsturiskā galvenā ieeja 2009. un 2014. gadā.

RU Исторический парадный вход в здание артиллерийского арсенала в 2009 и в 2014 году.

EN Barrier gate that guarded passage to Mikhail Gate in 1918 (with German WW1 soldier) and view in 2011. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Regional Studies and Art Museum.

LV Barjervārti un tilts no Mihaila vārtu puses 1918. un 2011. gadā.  Vēsturiskā foto avots: Daugavpils Novadpētniecības un mākslas muzeja krājums.

RU Барьерные ворота и мост со стороны Михайловских ворот в 1918-м и 2011-м году. Источник исторического фото: архив Даугавпилсского краеведческого и художественного музея.

EN 12th Bauska infantry regiments shop in 1930s and the same place in 2017. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Information Centre

LV 12. Bauskas kājnieku pulka veikals 1930. gados un tā pati ēka 2017. gadā. Vēsturiskā foto avots: Daugavpils cietokšņa Kultūras un informācijas centra krājums.

RU Магазин 12-го Бауского пехотного полка в 1930-е годы и тоже здание в 2017-м году. Фото: коллекция Центра культуры и информации Даугавпилсской крепости.

EN Kareivju (Soldier) Street in 1930s and the same place – Imperatora Street in 2017. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Information Centre.

LV Kareivju iela. 1930. gados un tā pati iela (Imperatora iela mūsdienās) 2017. gadā. Vēsturiskā foto avots: Daugavpils cietokšņa Kultūras un informācijas centra krājums.

RU Улица Карейвью в 1930-е годы и та же улица (современная улица Императора) в 2017-м году. Источник исторического фото: коллекция Центра культуры и информации Даугавпилсской крепости.

EN Guardhouse with barrier gate and 2nd reduit, located at the passage to Constantine Gate. 1920s vs 2017. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Iinformation Centre.

LV Kordegarde un 2. reduīte. pie Konstantīna vārtiem 1920. gados un 2017. gadā. Vēsturiskā foto avots: Daugavpils cietokšņa Kultūras un informācijas centra krājums.

RU Кордегардия и 2 редюит у Константиновских ворот в 1920-е годы и в 2017-м. Источник исторического фото: коллекция Центра культуры и информации Даугавпилсской крепости.

EN Constantine Gate with their arched gates in 1921 and 2017. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Information Centre.

LV Konstantīna vārti un arku vārti 1921. gadā un 2017. gadā. Vēsturiskā foto avots:  Daugavpils cietokšņa Kultūras un informācijas centra krājums.

RU Константиновские ворота и арочные ворота в 1921-м и в 2017-м году. Источник исторического фото: коллекция Центра культуры и информации Даугавпилсской крепости.

EN Guardhouse with barrier gate and 6th reduit located at the passage to Mikhail Gate in 1923 and in 2011. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Information Centre.

LV Kordegarde un 6. reduīte pie Mihaila vārtiem 1923. un 2011. gadā. Vēsturiskā foto avots: Daugavpils cietokšņa Kultūras un informācijas centra krājums.

RU Кордегардия и 6-й редюит у Михайловских ворот в 1923-м году и в 2011-м году. Источник исторического фото: коллекция Центра культуры и информации Даугавпилсской крепости.

EN View of Mikhail Gate in Soviet times and in 2011. Source of historical photo: http://dinaburgascietoksnis.lcb.lv/laikulokosLV.php

LV Mihaila vārti padomju laikos un 2011. gadā. Vēsturiskās fotogrāfijas avots: http://dinaburgascietoksnis.lcb.lv/laikulokosLV.php

RU Михайловские ворота в советские годы и в 2011-м году. Источник исторического фото: http://dinaburgascietoksnis.lcb.lv/laikulokosLV.php

EN Way to Mikhail Gate in 1930s and in 2013. In photo of 1930s are visible tanks of Latvian army built by British company Vickers. Source of historical photo: dinaburg.ru

LV Latvijas armijas Vickers firmas tanki izbrauc no Mihaila vārtiem. 1930. gados un tā pati vieta 2013. gad. Vēsturiskās fotogrāfijas avots: dinaburg.ru

RU Танки Латвийской армии производства Британской фирмы Вмикерс выезжают из Михайловских ворот в 1930-е годы и то же место в 2013-м году. Источник исторического фото: dinaburg.ru

EN View of Mikhail Gate in 1930s and in 2013. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Information Centre.

LV Mihaila vārti 1930. gados un 2013. gadā. Vēsturiskās fotogrāfijas avots: Daugavpils cietokšņa Kultūras un informācijas centra krājums.

RU Михайловские ворота в 1930-е годы и в 2013-м году. Источник исторического фото: коллекция Центра культуры и информации Даугавпилсской крепости.

EN View of arched gate leading to Mikhail Gate and church of the Fortress before russian revolutions in 1917 and the same place in 2017. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Information Centre.

LV Skats uz Mihaila vārtu arku vārtiem un cietokšņa baznīcu fonā pirms revolūcijām 2017. gadā un tā pati vieta 2017. gadā. Vēsturiskās fotogrāfijas avots: Daugavpils cietokšņa Kultūras un informācijas centra krājums.

RU Вид на арочные ворота у Михайловских ворот и крепостную церковь до револуций 1917-го года и тоже место в 2017-м. Источник исторического фото: коллекция Центра культуры и информации Даугавпилсской крепости.

EN View with powder magazine of 7th bastion, Artillery arsenal and garrison church in 1930s and 2017. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Information Centre.

LV 7. bastiona pulvernoliktava artilērijas arsenāla ēka un cietokšņa baznīca 1930. gados un 2017. gadā. Vēsturiskās fotogrāfijas avots: Daugavpils cietokšņa Kultūras un informācijas centra krājums.

RU Пороховой склад 7-го бастиона, артиллерийский арсенал и Крепостной собор в 1930-е годы и в 2017-м году. Источник исторического фото: коллекция Центра культуры и информации Даугавпилсской крепости.

EN View to Daugava River during the flood of 1922 and the same place in 2017. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Fortress Culture and Information Centre.

LV Skats uz Daugavu 1922. gada plūdu laikā Daugavpilī un tā pati vieta 2017. gadā. Vēsturiskās fotogrāfijas avots: Daugavpils cietokšņa Kultūras un informācijas centra krājums.

RU Вид на даугаву во время наводнения в Даугавпилсе в 1922 году и тоже место в 2017 году. Источник исторического фото: коллекция Центра культуры и информации Даугавпилсской крепости.

EN Provisions magazine (on the left), entrance to the casemates of the flank of 8th bastion (on the right) and Water-lifting house with its chimney and tower of the church (in centre behind trees). View of 1930s vs 2014. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Regional Studies and Art Museum.

LV Provianta magazīnas ēka (kreisajā pusē), ūdens paceļamā ēka ar dūmvadu un baznīcas torni aiz tā (vidū aiz kokiem) un 8. bastiona kazemāti ar skursteņiem ( labajā pusē). 1930. gados un 2014. gadā. Vēsturiskās fotogrāfijas avots: Daugavpils Novadpētniecības un mākslas muzeja krājums.

RU Здание провиантского магазина (с левой стороны), водоподъёмное здание с дымоходом и башней церкви (в центре за деревьями) и казематы 8-го бастиона в 1930-е годы и в 2014 году. Источник исторического фото: архив Даугавпилсского краеведческого и художественного музея.

EN Soldiers of Latvian army posing on the barrier gates of 1st coastal lunette (originally used to guard the way to Nicholas Gate) in 1930s and wiew of restored landscape in 2015. Source of historical photo: dinaburg.ru

LV Latvijas armijas karavīri pozē uz 1. piekrastes lunetes barjervārtiem (sākotnēji sargāja pieeju pie Nikolaja vārtiem) 1930. gados un restaurētā ainava 2015. gadā. Vēsturiskās fotogrāfijas avots: dinaburg.ru

RU Солдаты Латвийской армии позируют на барьерных воротах 1-го набережного люнета (изначально охранял подьезд к Николаевским воротам) в 1930-е годы и отреставрированный пейзаж в 2015-м году. Источник исторического фото: dinaburg.ru

EN Nicholas Gate in 1918 and before restoration in 2012. Source of historical photo: collection of Daugavpils Regional Studies and Art Museum.

LV Nikolaja vārti 1918. gadā un 2012. gadā pirms restaurācijas. Vēsturiskās foto avots: Daugavpils Novadpētniecības un mākslas muzeja krājums.

RU Николаевские ворота в 1918 году и в 2012 перед реставрацией. Источник исторического фото: архив Даугавпилсского краеведческого и художественного музея.

EN Nicholas Gate in 2012 and in 2014 after restoration.

LV Nikolaja vārti 2012. gadā un 2014. pēc restaurācijas.

RU Николаевские ворота в 2012 году и в 2014 после реставрации.

EN Photo of Latvian soldiers with Water-lifting house on the background (in the centre) and soldier barrack on the right. Photo of 1930s vs 2017. Source of historical photo: dinaburg.ru

LV Latvijas armijas karavīri un ūens paceļamā ēka 1930. gados un tas pats skats 2017. gadā. Vēsturiskās fotogrāfijas avots: dinaburg.ru

RU Солдаты Латвийской армии и водоподъемное здание в 1930-е годы и тот же самый вид в 2017-м году. Источник исторического фото: dinaburg.ru

EN A photo from the opening ceremony of memorial plaque dedicated to Latvian general Jānis Balodis in 1936 and the same place in 2017. Plaque was destroyed during Soviet occupation. Source of historical photo: Latgales dati

LV Ģenerlim Jānim Balodim veltītās piemiņas plāksnes atklāšana 1936. gadā un tā pati vieta 2017. gadā. Piemiņas plāksne padomju gados tika iznīcināta. Vēsturiskās fotogrāfijas avots: Latgales dati

Vairāk informācijas par plāksni.

RU Церемония открытия памятной плиты посвящённой генералу Латвийской армии Янису Балодису в 1936-м году и то же место в 2017-м году. Паматная плита в соватские годы была уничтожена. Источник исторического фото: Latgales dati

EN (1936 vs 2019) Soldiers of Zemgale Division of the Latvian Army are marching along the officer’s house at the opening ceremony of a memorial plaque in 1936. The plaque was dedicated to the Latvian general Jānis Balodis who used to live there as a Russian Imperial army officer in 1903 and later became a key military leader during the Latvian War of Independence.
Buildings of Commandant’s house block are visible on the right in the historical photo of 1936 as well as Nicholas barrack in the background. Buildings of Commandant’s house block were demolished during soviet times to free space for the parade square of Aviation engineer school. Nicholas barrack was significantly rebuilt, and an extra floor was added.

LV (1936. un 2019.gads) Latvijas armijas Zemgales divīzijas parāde gar virsnieku namu piemiņas plāksnes atklāšanas ceremonijas laikā 1936. gadā. Piemiņas plāksne bija veltīta ģenerālim Jānim Balodim kurš vēl dienēdams Krievijas Impērijas armijā 1903. gadā dzīvoja šajā namā, bet Latvijas Brīvības cīņu laikā kļuva par atslēgas militāro vadītāju.
Vēsturiskajā 1936. gada attēlā redzama Komandanta ēkas kvartāla apbūve un Nikolaja kazarma. Kvartāla ēkās padomju laikā tika nojauktas lai atbrīvotu vietu Kara aviācijas inženieru skolas parādes laukumam. Savukārt Nikolaja kazarma tika būtiski pārbūvēta un piebūvēts vēl viens stāvs.

RU (1936 и 2019 год) Парад Земгальской дивизии Латвийской армии вдоль офицерского дома в время церемонии открытия памятной плиты в 1936 году. Памятная плита была посвящена генералу Янису Балодису, который жил в этом здании ещё на службе в Русской Императорской армии в 1903 году, а во время Борьбы за независимость Латвии стал одним из ключевых военачальников.
На старинной фотографии видна застройка квартала комендантского дома (справа) и Николаевская казарма. Здания квартала были снесены в советские годы чтобы очистить пространство для парадной площади Военного Авиационного училища. В свою очередь Николаевская казарма была значительно перестроена и добавлен ещё один этаж.